Saturday, December 12, 2009

My Digital Life - personal infographic



My Digital Life, is an quick infographic by me!  A mindmap or network map of the digital products in my life, and how they all interconnect. Each connection is color-coded by the connection type (USB, wireless, ethernet, etc.) including its respective standard icon.  High-res version is on Flickr.

This started as a simple sketch to help me determine how to add a new external hard drive I got on Black Friday, but it quickly became much more fun to see how far out I could push the network.  I already know of some more that I want to add, so someday there may be a 2.0 version.  Apparently, I could use an IT manager at home.




I did ignore some differences within the connection types to keep this fairly simple.  I don't distinguish between USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 connections.  I use "Display" as a connection type, but its a DVI connection for the MacBook, a HDMI connection from the AppleTV and a composite connection from the DVD player.  I also show only one "Wireless" connection, but I know that the iPhone only uses 802.11g and the laptop uses 802.11n.

I did this using OmniGraffle, with a little help from Pixelmator and Keynote to clean up the images.

3 comments:

  1. This is pretty cool. I've taken a few stabs at this myself. I think I'll retry mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks VitaminCM. Let me see your gadget network when you're done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. From @Timeplots on Twitter: "Edward Tufte posted a link to Timeplots in AskET- Tufte calls the SCOTUS map "intriguing and complex"- http://bit.ly/4FDvIn (scroll down)"

    Very cool!

    ReplyDelete